Monday, May 11, 2009

Career Directions Since BITS - 1

I joined BITS with absolutely no plans and no ideas of what I would end up doing after four years. I joined BITS with that untarnished innocence, village intelligence and little understanding of world-outside. Suddenly, everything looked strange; girls wearing jeans and t-shirts, students operating computer like a TV remote, TT table inside a hostel. Started the first year with the only goal of getting a good C.G. and moving to a better discipline without really realising how difficult it is. At the end of the first year, gradually transformed into someone ambitious, a bit more likeable and amicable. At the end of that year I learnt what attitude is all about, found friendships that will last the life time, understood what career is. But, what it couldn't show me was the direction my career had to take. I was still the same ignorant self, the way I started it. When I got the chance to finish Masters in 5years along with the undergrad, I applied for it, little knowing that it would be another course of direction my career would take.
After two years of Bachelors, I was pursuing a course that was introduced for the first time, was going no where and still unsure about what I should be doing once I am out of BITS. I was with people who are as intelligent as I am, if not more, making career decisions, progressing towards making their life more meaningful and achieving their set goals. I was left to ponder my thoughts of setting dreams and going after them. Then came Practice School and left me wondering which kind of station should I be looking for. Unsure of where I should be heading towards, I followed the herd and went to HDL. Though, turned out to be a great learning experience of my life, it would have been great had I 'decided' to take that decision rather than 'taking' that decision. These 2 months changed the way I was thinking at that time, making me look beyond grades and c.g., forcing me to look at life larger than what I had seen until then. After those 2 months, I compared myself with what I had been at the beginning of my journey, the day I joined BITS; realized that I became a far better person but with the same no-goals scenario.

---to be continued!

No comments: